lunedì 12 marzo 2012

John Carter - short review of the movie

Last Saturday night I decided to please my beloved one. How? It was up to him to choose our movie at the cinema. Generally this means a disaster evening for me, because he's a sci-fi and superheroes fan... things that make me easily bored. Anyway, in the end we watched "John Carter", a kind of epic sci-fi action romance.


"John Carter" is a Disney movie,  based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Some articles and reviews I found on the net confirmed me what I already feared: it cost 250 million dollars. TOO MUCH. I often feel a kind of repulsion against movies which have ruinous costs behind them, from the beginning I can perceive I won't like them at all, it's like I already know they won't give anything, neither emotion nor aesthetic perfection.
I just give you 5 reasons (or advices...) why "John Carter" isn't worth watching. Then, of course, take your decision.

1) BORING. Never seen such a slow, jerrybuilt Disney's storyline. It alternates overstuffed moments in which you don't understand a damn to extremely tedious, uneventful fragments. The only nice thing is a martian dog which runs and smiles a lot, I would say it also represents a glimmer of "fun" in the whole film.

2) OVERLONG. It lasts 132 minutes. Unless you suffer from insomnia, it's really too much. Consider that, as I wrote at point 1, there are many slow scenes. Even soundtrack, most of the time, doesn't help.

3) SILLY. The script people, the script! Ok, it's a Disney movie, but it doesn't mean it has to be childish and disconnected! The Daily Mail described it as "ghastly", I find it hard not to agree.

4) USELESS 3D. It was used only to increase the price of the ticket. Only for that, because the only effect it gave me was pain in my eyes when I got out from the cinema. Special effects are good, impressive, nothing to say - but 3D is simply a waste.

5) BAD ACTRESS. Lynn Collins plays the role of the charming martian warrior princess Dejah Toris, as you can predict without knowing the story she will conquer the terrestrial main character. A gorgeous woman, but also a very little talented actress. Flat all the time. Monotone. Unexpressive at all.

Now, take your decision...but remember: you may waste more than two hours of your life.


(for the record, my boyfriend seemed to like it)
(but, I add, he sometimes has a very bad taste!)

1 commento:

  1. For the record, I am the Alessia's boyfriend :)


    I have to say that I went to the cinema with great expectations: as a Sci-Fi addicted and fan of the book novels, I was hoping that a gigantic production of this kind would be able to make shine the Burroughs story.

    Well, I'm sorry to admit that was non the case.
    Jon Carter is not totally a bad movie, by the way... But it is not a great one either. It is a fun, "easy" action story, but the script lacks of the right synthesis for being fully appreciated by the vast part of the public who actually doesn't know the novel yet!

    The storyline seems too hurried in some points (flooding the spectator whith too many confusing details at the same time) and then slows down too much in other parts, breaking the pace of the action whith overextended dialogs.

    The overall final impression is that of a unrisolved dilemma by the director: it seems to me that he desperatly tried to fit all the storyline in a too limited time span, whith questionable results... The same story, better developed in a larger amount of time (or two films maybe) would have been much more enjoyable in my opinion.

    RispondiElimina